This page was set up to provide an archive of how to hack the navigation start-up screen of a 2006 Acura TSX. This is based off the method and software that guicide wrote to do a 2006 Honda Civic hack, which was originally based on the software by bysin for a 2004 TSX. For a 2004 or 2005 TSX go here for instructions
Create an Image
- Create a 480x234 16 bit bmp image. The easist way to do that is to find
an image (a UF Gator in my case), scale it so that it is 480x234, then open
it in Microsoft Paint and do a "Save As" in 256 Color BMP format. I saved mine as gator.bmp
- Then download the 8to16 program guicide made that converts an 8 bit image to a 16 bit image. Look for the 8to16.exe file when you unzip it, copy that file and the bitmap file you want to change into the same directory, and then type "8to16 gator.bmp gator16.bmp" from the command line in that directory.
- This thread also has a ton of images to use, but I believe they will need to be converted in the same manner as above. Try it and see I guess.
- Download the program for the 2006 hack.
- Unzip it into a folder of your choice. The two important files you want
(bysin.exe and CECompressv4.dll) are in the "Release" folder when you unzip
it. Put the .bmp file you created earlier in that folder as well.
- Remove the Navigation DVD from the trunk, and copy the 06Touch2.bin file from the Navigation DVD to that folder also.
- Open up a command prompt (Start->Run and type 'command') and navigate to
the folder. Type "D:" to get to the D drive for example, and then "cd
nav\guicide\work" to get to the specific folder, which in my case I put
it in D:\nav\guicide\work
- Now type "bysin 06Touch2.bin update Opening3.bmp gator16.bmp"
- Burn the following 6 files to a CDR:
Note that 06Touch2.bin is the modified version from above. The rest are directly copied from the Navigation DVD.
- Turn on the car, run back to insert the CDR into the DVD drive, then go back to the nav screen and hold down Map, Menu, and Cancel until the Diagnosis menu come up.
- Hit Version, and then hit Download
- Wait ~2-3 minutes while it loads.
- It should reboot with your new splash logo. Remove the CDR from the drive, and put in the original DVD. And then you're set. Enjoy!
I just put all the files I needed in the same directory to make it easier:
Commands on the command prompt. This is really all you need:
Note that this does nothing to the nag screen. It only changes the splash screen.
Other car models this start up navigation hack works on:
2006 Accord (use Opening1.bmp instead of Opening3.bmp)
2006 Civics (use 06AVN2.bin instead of 06Touch2.bin and Opening1.bmp instead of Opening3.bmp)
2006 Ridgeline (use sjca2.bin instead of 06Touch2.bin and Splash1.bmp instead of Opening3.bmp)
If for some reason you want to go back to the original image, make sure the original navigation DVD is in the drive, and follow steps 7-10.
2006 TSX Automatic w/ Nav
Navigation Ver 4.31C
Image file used (no modification needed):
Last Updated 5-21-2006